Mobilize Congress Call Script & Directions
I recommend reading through the call script below a few times before you make calls. I (Ezra) am happy to do a training call with you, as well. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time for a call.
The script is broken down into three key questions that you will ask in the following order:
1. Can you spread the Pledge to 5 people in your Area?
2. Can you start a Campaign in your Congressional District?
3. Can you join our weekly Thursday organizing call?
A few notes before you get to the script:
1. MEMORIZE THE THREE QUESTIONS: Please memorize these questions and the order in which they should be asked.
2. DO BASIC CALLER RESEARCH BEFORE CALL: Before you make the call, you will want to take note of the caller’s city or town on your Nationbuilder Call List. I will send you this list once you agree to make these calls.
3. AIM FOR 2-3 CALLS PER DAY: Please aim to make 15-20 calls per week (or 2-3 per day). Of course, the more you can do, the better! You can start calling after 9 a.m. and you should stop before 9 p.m.
4. TAKE NOTES ON EACH CALL: Make sure to take notes during the calls on the “Mobilize Congress Call Notes.docx” word document! I will send you this document along with your Nationbuilder call list.
5. INPUT NOTES & TAGS INTO NATIONBUILDER: Then, please don’t forget to copy and paste the notes into Nationbuilder and tag your caller with the relevant tags! See below for a guide explaining how to do this.
I will send follow-up emails to the people you call based upon what you enter into Nationbuilder, as long as they say YES to at least one of the 3 questions! If they have follow-up questions on any of the things we are asking them to do, just tell them I will be in touch with more information.
The Call Script [With Instructions]
My name is ________, I live in __(place)__, and I’m calling you on behalf of The Climate Mobilization. I am coordinating our organizing efforts in __(your state)__. How are you today?
[Allow them time to respond and ask for clarification on what The Climate Mobilization is if they don’t remember who we are very clearly]
As you may recall, our tool is the Pledge to Mobilize, which calls on the government to begin a WWII-scale mobilization to save civilization from climate change. Thousands of Americans and dozens of politicians have signed the Pledge.
We are just under a year away from electing a new President and we are working hard in Iowa to pressure the presidential candidates to sign the Pledge.
But we are also electing a new Congress next year. Our top organizing goal for the coming year is to build powerful campaigns pressuring Congressional Candidates to sign the Pledge in each Congressional District across the country – including yours. We want to put pressure on each Congressional Candidate in America to sign the Pledge during the 2016 elections.
Are you interested in hearing more about this effort, and potentially getting involved?”
IF THEY SAY NO:
"Okay, no problem. Please check out our website, theclimatemobilization.org, if you want to learn more about our efforts. Thanks for your time!"
IF THEY SAY YES:
“Fantastic!!! There are a number of ways you can get involved in the Mobilize Congress Campaign:"
1. CAN YOU SPREAD THE PLEDGE IN YOUR AREA?
“An easy way to start is by spreading the Pledge in your Area. About 3,000 people from across America, including several serious Congressional candidates, have signed the Pledge. We need to grow that number A LOT if we want to Mobilize the entire Federal Government. Can you commit to spreading the Pledge to 5 people in your area in the coming weeks? Can you ask each person you give the Pledge to to also spread it to 5 people, in order to create a chain reaction of Pledge-spreading?”
If they say YES to Pledge-Spreading:
“Excellent! There are a number of ways to do this:
- You can set up Face-to-Face meetings with people you respect in your area to talk about the Pledge and persuade them to sign
- You can hold a Pledge-signing House Party
- You could give a Presentation on the need for Mobilization
- You could Attend a Climate Change-Related Event and Make an Announcement about the Pledge and the Mobilize Congress Campaign.”
If they say NO to Pledge-Spreading:
“No problem! There are other ways to get involved. However, these other ways are more time-consuming and complicated.”
2. CAN YOU START A MOBILIZE CONGRESS CAMPAIGN IN YOUR DISTRICT?
“Since we are just getting started with the Mobilize Congress Campaign, we need people to actually start formal campaigns in their own congressional districts. Can you potentially help start a local campaign in ____(their town or city)____ to ensure that whoever is elected to Congress from your district in 2016 has signed the Pledge to Mobilize?”
If they say YES to Starting a Congressional District Campaign in their community:
“Awesome!!! We will send you an email ASAP with directions about how to get started. It will discuss how to use a powerful tool called the Community Power Structure Analysis that helps you map out a strategy for spreading the Pledge in your District.”
If they say NO to Starting a Congressional District Campaign:
“Okay, no problem. There are other ways to get involved.”
3. CAN YOU JOIN OUR WEEKLY THURSDAY ORGANIZING CALL?
“Every Thursday evening at 8 p.m. Eastern Time, we host a conference call to help people with their organizing efforts. If you join one of these calls, our organizing team can help you figure out how you can use your own unique skills to help TCM’s organizing efforts.
If they say YES to joining an organizing call:
“Great. Just dial 917-444-5627 at 8 p.m. Eastern Time on Thursday.”
If they say NO to joining an organizing call:
“No problem. All our organizing calls are archived at www.theclimatemobilization.org/calls if you want to listen to them.”
4. DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR ME?
[Answer any questions they have. If you don't know the answer, just say you are unsure. They can ask me when I contact them in a follow-up email.]
5. WRAP UP THE CALL
- GIVEN THEM YOUR CONTACT INFO: Give them your full name, email address, and phone number and tell them they can contact you with any questions.
- THANK THEM WARMLY FOR TAKING YOUR CALL!
NOW, IT’S TIME TO INPUT THEIR INFO ON NATIONBUILDER!!!
The way that you follow up on your phone calls is just as important as how the actual phone call goes – if not more important!
MAKE SURE TO TAKE CALL NOTES on the word doc form “Mobilize Congress Call Notes.docx” I sent you - either as you are talking on the phone with the caller, or immediately after. This will help you immensely in your follow-up after the call.
Once you are done making all of your calls, please send me your call notes at email@example.com.
1. GO TO "CALL VIEW": When you click on the link to the Nationbuilder Call List I sent you, you should be directed to the “Call View” section of your Call List. If not, please go there. It will show the name, address, email and phone number for each person who has signed the Pledge or the Petition in your state who has provided a phone number.
2. LOCATE THE "TAG" SECTION: Just below that basic information you will see a white button with a dark “+” sign. That is the tag button, and there should be at least one beige “tag” next to it that says “signer,” and probably more.
3. ADD RELEVANT TAGS: The tag system helps us organize people and contact them en masse. So this is very important. The way you add a tag is by clicking on the “+” button, typing in a word or two, and pressing enter.
Depending on how the caller answers, there is a tag for each question that you need to enter:
Q1. CAN YOU SPREAD THE PLEDGE IN YOUR AREA?
If they say YES: Tag them with Pledge 5
Q2. CAN YOU START A MOBILIZE CONGRESS CAMPAIGN IN YOUR DISTRICT?
If they say YES: Tag them with Mobilize Congress
Q3. CAN YOU JOIN OUR WEEKLY THURSDAY ORGANIZING CALL?
If they say YES: Tag them with Organizing Call RSVP
4. COPY & PASTE NOTES (VERY IMPORTANT): Then, scroll down to the empty white box just below the words “Log Call.” Copy & Paste your Word Doc notes from the call - detailing their answers, whether YES or NO, to each of the four questions - directly into there. It is critical that you do this, because it will explicitly guide how I follow up with each of these individuals by email.
5. SKIP THE MULTIPLE CHOICE OPTIONS: There is no need to fill them out.
6. FINISH THE JOB: Finally, click the Orange Button, “Log contact and remove from list.”
And you're done!!! I will gladly give you a training call for both the call script and the Nationbuilder tagging. Please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time. My phone number is (860) 916-8964.